Saturday, 28 April 2012

Exploring the Deep Web Part 5:
Safety: In Depth

I am not sure how much longer I will continue this blog, but I figure I may as well end what I started. So, I'm going to do a much more in-depth look at safe access of the Deep Web. To be as safe as possible, I'll cover only what I believe are truly anon services: Tails, and Liberte.





Liberte is a service that runs I2P through Tor, and exits with Privoxy on top of it. It runs off of a USB drive; all information that is saved is encrypted in 4096 bit. Liberte may not appeal to everybody; the browser is very, very stripped-down, and essentially just parses HTML. You can enable JavaScript if you wish, but this does have to potential to decrease your overall security. Overall, I would feel comfortable using Liberte unless I was on a watchlist and/or in China.



Tails is an OS, designed to be used from a DVD or a USB. It runs separate from your normal OS. It comes equipped with an anon web browser, email service, and IM service. I'd tend to say it's prettier than Liberte. Tails is weaker than Liberte in that it doesn't change your MAC address every time you start it up; however, this is only a problem if you're using open networks. I use Tails over Liberte because I find it much easier to work with.



Both of these anonymous services can be downloaded from the links provided. If you need any help, just ask in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment