Tuesday, 3 April 2012

Exploring the Deep Web Part 4:
How to access the Deep Web safely

While the Deep Web in an amazing place, it has it's share of dangers. There are hackers who can access your data and webcam, site links that lead you to places that you may not ever want to see, and illegal activity everywhere. You will probably want to avoid these Deep Web sites, and if you accidentally come across one you won't want anybody to think you tried to access it. So, there are a few precautions you should take.

1) Social Precautions on the Deep Web

When you're on the Deep Web, you should be cautious. People may not be who they seem to be, and links may not go where you expect them to. There are a few ways that you can avoid being tricked in these social ways. The first rule is that you should never trust anybody on the Deep Web unless you are sure that they are who they say they are. Unless you can somehow determine this, don't trust what they say. You'll know if you can trust them. In terms of links you can trust, there are a number of onion link databases you can find. If you're a Deep Web beginner, you should go to the Hidden Wiki. This will have a host of links that you can trust.

2) Technology Precautions on the Deep Web

At the moment, I believe that the safest method of surfing the Deep Web is using Tails. Tails is a not-for-profit program that uses the Tor network to allow anonymity. It is loaded off of a live USB, and leaves absolutely no information on the computer it uses (unless you ask it to); this is because it runs off of RAM. Last, it encrypts all of your files and emails. Personally I use this because I don't think there will be any backdoors in it, and that it leaves no trace.

Anyway, that's all for now.

18 comments:

  1. Man, I am loving this series. It's really interesting and informational :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just like poking around the hidden wiki and see where i go from there, but i avoid places where i know itll be screwed up

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm tempted to use Tails on a daily basis. It sounds fairly handy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really good blog, you always have useful information here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, didn't know about Tails yet.
    Forgive me my curiousity, but is that really your picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, nope. I just love it, it's a bit of a running joke between my friends and I.

      Delete
    2. Haha, I just had the doubt as well

      Delete
  6. Never heard of Tails before. Might use it some time in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great! you have a new follower :]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly what i need to browse down there, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear more and more about deep web. I guess it's time to check it out haha ;P

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for sharing this bro..I really don't know anything about the deep web

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just downloaded tor. wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. NICE!

    http://memedoctor.blogspot.com/
    https://twitter.com/#!/MemeDoctor

    ReplyDelete