Thursday, 29 March 2012

Exploring the Deep Web Part 2:
How I discovered it      

So, now that I've explained what the Deep Web is like, I suppose I should explain how I found out about it.

I first heard about it through the news, when there was word that anonymous had revealed some kind of nest of pedophiles exchanging files. I didn't really feel any draw towards it then, as it just seemed like a den of unsavoury criminals. Later, after I took interest in reddit's /r/darknetplan, I began seeing the Deep Web in a different light. I new before that it supported anonymous conversation; I learned that this could be used for good, for revolutions overthrowing dictators. SOPA showed me that the rights of those on the internet are important, and the deep web seemed like a natural progression from there; a bastion of anonymity, a shield against prying eyes. And, as the deep web became more and more intriguing, I naturally wondered how one might access it.

I followed a rumour that some PDF or jpeg was floating around on 4chan that would help me, and so I dove in, and found it. It was an iceburg photo, depicting the levels of the internet. I lost it long ago, but it was similar to this one:


Eventually, I found out that much of the Deep Web was based around the Tor network. I set up Tor on Mozilla Firefox, pasted in the Hidden Wiki's website, and dove. Unluckily for me, the Hidden Wiki happened to be down that day. The work of some 4chan trolls, I believe. That day I thought I'd done something wrong, that Tor wasn't working, or that the whole thing was some elaborate trolling I'd been put through. I was wrong, but it was about a week later when I actually got onto the Deep Web.

Anyhow, that's all for now. Happy browsing.

15 comments:

  1. A dangerous place to go if you don't know what you are really doing. Not for the weak of heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. been to the dark web once. not really for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shits dangerous down there. take this (presses +1 for google+)

    ReplyDelete
  4. take mine +1 as well, one never knows...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be careful around the deep web! My friend told me about some crazy hackers on there who can somehow hack into your computer through your webcam. I have no idea how that's possible though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah ive heard of this, never looked myself though dont really want to lol

      Delete
    2. What they do is they hack your webcam, and from there it's a simple matter of social engineering and they can do what they like with your personal information. At least this is what the rumours say. I just cover my webcam, and have a few layers of security.

      Delete
  6. Nice posts bro, i followed. Follow me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting I feel curious

    ReplyDelete
  8. very interesting... following back

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blog so far. I look forward to reading more!

    https://twitter.com/#!/MemeDoctor

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful. I remember going on the deep web my first time. Scared to click much on the Hidden Wiki..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice Article! Hope to see more, follow you!

    ReplyDelete